Ol' Blue Eyes

Vanity Fair has written a wonderful article about 83-year-old actor Paul Newman. I absolutely love him in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Sting. (On a sidenote, I also love his pasta sauce.)

Onscreen, he frequently played amiable but roguish characters. Offscreen, he has pursued his passion for race car driving and many philanthropic endeavors, often focused on child welfare. I also have the ultimate respect for him because he closely guards his privacy - probably why he's been harmoniously married to Joanne Woodward for 50 years, which is just unheard of in Hollywood! Even now, he refuses to comment on rumors that he is seriously ill (all he admitted to being treated for in hospital was "athlete's foot and hair loss"). 

Frequent co-star and friend Robert Redford wrly observed that, "He's got the attention span of a bolt of lightning." He's also got the warmest sense of humor, once stating, "I picture my epitaph: 'Here lies Paul Newman, who died a failure because his eyes turned brown.'" *swoon* (And yes, I know he's an octogenarian but will you check out these pics from back in the day?)

No comments:

Post a Comment